Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with no e-statements and payroll direct deposit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ABOUTBENS

ABOUTBENS

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

The past few days I've been looking at the pros and cons of all my banking accounts. Something struck me that I've never really noticed before. My wife and I both have our payroll directly depostited into our Capital One Money Market accout. Since Capital One doesn't offer e-statements, we get our statement in the mail each month. The bad thing is the transaction shows our employer's name AND both of our social security numbers. Along with other info on the statement, someone could have a pretty good start at identity theft if they got ahold of it. I've now decided that I will only do payroll direct deposit if I have e-statements with my bank (such as ING, Emigrant Direct, etc.). Not sure if I'm being paranoid, but I think it's something to consider.

#2 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:31 AM

Very good point! You may want to complain about this to Capital One. This is a serious issue. It may not be their fault (the SSN info may come from your employer end) but they can do something about it (offer e-statements).

QUOTE(ABOUTBENS @ Jul 1 2006, 07:19 PM) View Post

The past few days I've been looking at the pros and cons of all my banking accounts. Something struck me that I've never really noticed before. My wife and I both have our payroll directly depostited into our Capital One Money Market accout. Since Capital One doesn't offer e-statements, we get our statement in the mail each month. The bad thing is the transaction shows our employer's name AND both of our social security numbers. Along with other info on the statement, someone could have a pretty good start at identity theft if they got ahold of it. I've now decided that I will only do payroll direct deposit if I have e-statements with my bank (such as ING, Emigrant Direct, etc.). Not sure if I'm being paranoid, but I think it's something to consider.

Stats