Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo
- - - - -

Low WAMU security standards for check deposits

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:44 AM

The following part of the complaint below is especially disturbing:

"The irony - not only the bank didn't think the activity on the account is unusual, the check numbers were totally out of sequence, they were alerted by one of the merchants that ID does not match"

###################################################
Repost:

OP: needadvice
Forum: FatWallet

"Went to the bank to make a deposit few days ago and noticed that my checking account balance is lower by over $7,000!!! It turns out someone has written 40!!!! checks to different merchants over a period of almost a month.

I have never in my life written a check to a merchant. Account activity has been 2-3 checks per month. I review my statement when it comes in the mail. My checks were not stolen. ATM never used.

The irony - not only the bank didn't think the activity on the account is unusual, the check numbers were totally out of sequence, they were alerted by one of the merchants that ID does not match approx. two weeks down the shopping spree - and these morons didn't contact me nor placed an alert on the account.

What a joke! and supposedly the bank has loss prevention department. waste of salaries.
unbelievable. They even refused me for over an hour to take down forgery report. They wanted me to go to police instead and I guess give more time and my assests to criminals to continue depleting my balance.

I guess it is good news for criminals - the bank is generous.

PS Waiting to see the copies of all of these checks. Bank provided only 9 so far, that is how I know the merchants they were written out to. the checks were "verified" by merchants with made up driver's license number and wrong phone number. "

Source:
fatwallet.org/t/52/422537/

Stats