Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo

Looking for 0% for college

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xoom

Xoom

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:05 AM

I am about to take a course at my university, online. Since it is online it is not covered by my stafford loans. I need to come up with ~$700 total to start/pay for the class. I was considering hopping on one of these 0% APR deals and paying it off within 6-12 months. Would this work? What about fees?

This is all to avoid the hassle of a PLUS loan or a private loan.

Xoom

#2 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:37 AM

AT&T Universal Rewards Card seems to be a good choice. 0% APR for 12 months, no balance transfer fee if you request a balance transfer in your application (or even possibly during the first 12 months but you should double check this). You also get points with your purchases. See more info about this card below.

There are more than 60 credit cards with 0% or low introductory APR listed in iBankDesign credit card database (look under "Selected Cards"). There is a chance that you can find a card better than the AT&T card, I did not really have time to research them all.

Good luck!

Mark

AT&T card terms:
As long as first balance transfer is completed within 12 months of date of account opening, the balance transfer APR is 0% for 12 months from the date of the first balance transfer. After the promotional period ends, your standard purchase APR will be applied to any unpaid balance transfer and promotional purchase balances. Your APRs may vary each billing period. (As of October 19, 2005, the purchase and balance transfer rate equals a variable rate of 12.47%. The cash advance rate equals a variable rate of 21.47%, with a minimum cash advance rate of 19.99%. The default rate equals a variable rate of up to 30.97% if you default under any Card Agreement that you have with us.) We may also increase the promotional rate if you fail to make payments to another creditor when due. Min. finance charge: $0.50. The transaction fee for foreign purchases is 3% of purchase amount after its conversion to U.S. dollars. The transaction fee for cash advances is 3% of the amount of each cash advance, $5 minimum. The transaction fee for balance transfers is 3% of the amount of each balance transfer, $5 minimum, $75 maximum. However, there is no balance transfer transaction fee on balances you transfer in response to this offer. The annual membership fee is $0.

QUOTE(Xoom @ Oct 21 2005, 01:05 AM)
I am about to take a course at my university, online. Since it is online it is not covered by my stafford loans. I need to come up with ~$700 total to start/pay for the class. I was considering hopping on one of these 0% APR deals and paying it off within 6-12 months. Would this work? What about fees?

This is all to avoid the hassle of a PLUS loan or a private loan.

Xoom
View Post

#3 pangya88

pangya88

• GoodMembers
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 04:34 AM

Actually jpsmoney started "Best of 0% APR Balance Transfer Offers w/NO fees" thread on this website. See link below.

link

I was in financial crisis in grad school. I got thru it by getting Stafford loans and doing balance transfers. I can empathize with you.

Citicard has the best deals on 0% APR Balance Transfer with NO balance transfer fees. Once you get a CitiCard, call them and request a czech that you can deposit in your bank. They treat this czech as a balance transfer.

You might have to apply for their "college" card, which has NO minimum income requirement. Call their rep first to see if you could qualify for a regular card with 0% APR Balance Transfer with NO balance transfer fees for 12 months. The college card offers it for 6 months only.

If you are certain that you qualify for a regular card (a non-college card), be sure to czech out credit card sign-up thread here on this website. For example, Citi Simplicity Rewards card offers $100 gift card as a sign-up bonus.

Email or send me a personal message if you have any more questions. "Been there, done that" !!! ^_~

#4 ramstein

ramstein

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:49 PM

one class = 700$? wow expensive!

Stats