Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo

please help with a credit card situation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:12 PM

Here's my situation:

I had bad credit over a year ago. (past debt has since been paid off, but it was too late for credit score) I applied for free secured credit card from Fleet (now Bank of America) for their lowest credit line because I wanted to rebuild my credit. I received the card and started using it. When I received the card, I also received the application for a Bank of America Platinum credit card with a limit of 2k (which is more that what I need, but hey I'm happy. happy.gif) I filled it out on a lark since at that point I just felt rejected.

I received the Bank of America credit card a month later and was happy to find out I could convert the card to the Financial Rewards card (at that time, they had not issued the power rewards thingy yet) almost immediately

I tried to apply for the citibank cards and chase card throughout the year with no success (maybe once every 3 months) but I was able to get a credit line increase on my BoA card...Also, my fleet card (now BoA) was converted from a secured to a regular card and also had the credit line increased automatically.

I was so used to getting rejected that I applied for the mypoints credit card around last month (it's sorta useless, but it's a better backup than the BoA backup credit card (I'm planning to convert it to one of the mbna cards when they get incorporated/offered by BoA)

This month I filled out a application from Chase (who had rejected me once about 8 months ago) and just received the regular card (no rewards/cashback nothing and has a very close to non-existent limit of $400). I was so surprised, but I also wanted to convert the card to the PerfectCard. I called and was told the card could not be converted...however, I could apply to the PerfectCard, even though I already had another Chase Card.

My question is -- do I apply for the PerfectCard so soon after receiving the new card (because of my previous bad credit history and because of the new card I just received) or should I wait for the credit line increase before trying again to convert the card over to the PerfectCard? Thank you so much for your patience in reading this.

#2 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:23 PM

I do not know the answer but you may want to make another attempt to convert your regular card to the PerfectCard card just to make sure that the Chase representative knew what he was talking about.

My first attempt to convert my "non-reward" MBNA card to a cash reward card failed. However, I was able to do this when I tried again.

I believe you can have up-to two different cards from Chase/Bank One. I tried to get the third one but was rejected because of having already "too much credit" from Bank One.

Mark

Stats