Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo
- - - - -

Question: GOOD bank for online banking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 civix

civix

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:30 PM

I pretty much never go into a bank. I pretty much never use cash either. I am looking for a bank that can keep up with me.

Does anybody have suggestions for a bank that can provide:

1. Free checking (does not have to be interest bearing)
2. Free Online Bill pay
3. 5 day holds placed on POS purchase authorizations
4. Ability to schedule bill payment any day in the near future (near as in a month)
5. Funds hold on bill payments until payee cashes check
6. Unlimited bill payment transactions
7. No out-of-state holds on deposits just because the bank is located out-of-state
8. No minimum balance
9. Very small minimum amout to open an account.
10. Customer service that has the power to fix problems and understand the technology behind banking

The problem I am having with my current bank (Citizens) is that they place a hold on POS authorizations for only 24 hours. If the merchant has not processed their batch within 24 hours, my account is credited the authorization hold and there is no record of the charge that is on its way to the account. This forces my to ignore whatever the online balance says and keep a seperate paper checkbook. That is a 20 year step back.

Thank you for your comments

#2 pinkpig

pinkpig

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:16 AM

USAA.may not meet all your needs, but still one of the best online banks.

#3 jpsmoney

jpsmoney

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Personal finance, money, investing,... did i say money?

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:23 AM

You are talking about the holy grail of checking accounts biggrin.gif

Let us know if you find such a thing! I hear good things about USAA as well. You may also want to try some local credit unions, although many times their online stuff is lacking.

#4 doglar

doglar

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:01 PM

Of course, this would be Bank of America MyAccess checking account. It has #1, 2, 6,8,
3 & 5 & 7 -i don't know,
4 you can schedule up to year in advance,
9 - i don't know, but since you can go to $0 without a fee I guess it is low
10 - i don't know - i never had to use it

#5 ramstein

ramstein

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

when you say "online banks", do you mean online "banking" ; which means the bank has physical locations all over, and also internet banking

if it is just an "online bank" with no physical location, i would stay away from such banks

maybe i'm just naive...

#6 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(ramstein @ Aug 15 2005, 10:47 AM)
when you say "online banks", do you mean online "banking" ; which means the bank has physical locations all over, and also internet banking

if it is just an "online bank" with no physical location, i would stay away from such banks

maybe i'm just naive...
View Post

True, web-only online banks are rare these days. Most of them either have, a least, a one full-service branch (e.g. First Internet Bank of Indiana) or a big B&M parent (e.g. UFB Direct)

Stats