Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo

How to avoid problems when closing NetBank accounts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alee

alee

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

I've had my NetBank checking and money markets accounts open for over six months, so it's now time for me to close them. I'd like to know the best way to do this while incurring as few charges as possible.

If I just transfer all of the money out of my accounts to another bank, and then send them a letter by snail-mail telling them to close my account, will NetBank charge me for having less than $500 in my money market account? Will they demand the $7.50 account closing fees for each account if I don't leave that much in my accounts?

Is there a better way to close my accounts?

#2 Bankgeek

Bankgeek

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:39 PM

[quote name='alee' date='Oct 30 2006, 06:04 PM' post='20411']
Why use a postage stamp. Just call them on the phone. $7.50? They aren't going to waste money trying to collect it.

#3 alee

alee

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Bankgeek @ Oct 30 2006, 02:39 PM) View Post

Why use a postage stamp. Just call them on the phone. $7.50? They aren't going to waste money trying to collect it.

Yes, but this is NetBank, where they charge account closing fees on all accounts in the first place. I've never heard of another bank that charged account closing fees no matter how long the account had been open. As I said, I also don't trust them not to charge me for having less than the minimum balance in my money market account. Has anyone had a smooth experience, or trouble, with closing NetBank accounts?

#4 neopho

neopho

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:22 AM

Before closing your accounts, transfer all your money (you may also want to leave several cents) to your other bank accounts. Then send an online bank mail, requesting closure for both accounts. The customer will do all the left for you. Well, you may need to respond his/her mail one or two times:)

That's all what I have just done with my accounts. They are now closed, and they took the remaining cents:)

QUOTE(alee @ Oct 30 2006, 06:04 PM) View Post

I've had my NetBank checking and money markets accounts open for over six months, so it's now time for me to close them. I'd like to know the best way to do this while incurring as few charges as possible.

If I just transfer all of the money out of my accounts to another bank, and then send them a letter by snail-mail telling them to close my account, will NetBank charge me for having less than $500 in my money market account? Will they demand the $7.50 account closing fees for each account if I don't leave that much in my accounts?

Is there a better way to close my accounts?

Stats