Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo
- - - - -

If your checkbook is stolen, cancel the account

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:09 AM

An interesting story was posted on FW (below). The bottom line is, if your checkbook is stolen, you should close the checking account, not just cancel the checkbook.

"I have a Washington Mutual account. Last year someone broke into my home and stole some cash and my check book. I have called in Washington mutual to cancel the stolen checkbook. Recently, a charge of $4200 was charged into my account from those stolen checkbook. Lucky enough, I don't have that much money in my bank so the check was canceled, otherwise I will lost $4200. I got charged about $23 for returned check. I called Washington Mutual and they said the checks that were cancelled has expired after six months period. They said that checked cannot be cancelled, they can only put on stopped payment list for six months, and they cannot disputed $23. They said the only thing I can do is to cancel the account and create a new one to void the problem."

source: fatwallet.com/t/52/505070/

Stats