Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo
- - - - -

"Presidential" Bush's Patriot Act

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ABOUTBENS

ABOUTBENS

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:59 AM

sad.gif I applied for Presidential's 3.75% checking account online and got a reply in the mail yesterday that they needed more info to open it. The problem is that I have recently moved and so my address on my drivers license is now different. Presidential said my DL had to match my current address before they would open an account, due to the Patriot Act. I have opened accounts with Capitol One, ING, and NetBank without this problem. That's b/c they ask you if your address is different than what is on your DL and give you a place to enter it if it is. I guess it's not really a big deal and I really should update my DL, but it is frustrating that they were the only bank without a way to get around this.

#2 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(ABOUTBENS @ Aug 29 2005, 05:59 PM)
sad.gif I applied for Presidential's 3.75% checking account online and got a reply in the mail yesterday that they needed more info to open it.  The problem is that I have recently moved and so my address on my drivers license is now different.  Presidential said my DL had to match my current address before they would open an account, due to the Patriot Act.  I have opened accounts with Capitol One, ING, and NetBank without this problem.  That's b/c they ask you if your address is different than what is on your DL and give you a place to enter it if it is.  I guess it's not really a big deal and I really should update my DL, but it is frustrating that they were the only bank without a way to get around this.
View Post

I am surprised that you did not have problems with Netbank. I got impression that Netbank CS reps are extremely suspicious when it comes to customer identity. Read, for example, the 3d post in this thread: http://ibankdesign.c...p?showtopic=229

#3 mnl8844

mnl8844

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:35 AM

i had a much worse problem with farm bureau bank. i am a student and i have put my previous bank accounts/credit cards under my school addresses. so i have like 5 different addresses on my chexsystems report. when i applied for farm bureau they opened an account, but put a restriction and said they needed my drivers lisence, my social security card, and a utility bill with the same address. since i am a student, i dont have a utility bill. and the one for my house is under my mom's name. when i told them i couldn't proide the utility bill they told me they were closing the account. later i find out they reported me to chexsystems for "fraud". i get a letter from UFB Direct saying they were notified by chexsystems that i was reported and they were closing my account. i called farm bureau to ask why they reported me, and they wouldn't even talk to me about it and UFB would not re open my account until i proved the fraud report was gone. it took me 3 weeks to go through the dispute process with chexsystems to prove that i didn't do any fraud. after that whole thing was over with i asked my mom to add my name to her gas bill and she did. i then re-applied to farm buearue (despite the hell they put me through) since i was attracted to their checking accoung, with all the info they asked for, and they wouldn't open the account. they later sent me a letter explaining that with all the address it looked like fraud and that the patriot act required them to report all suspicious activity. they're customer service was horrible too. but oh well.

#4 pangya88

pangya88

• GoodMembers
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:08 AM

I just relocated to NYC from Berkeley, CA.

I experienced the address change problem with Meadows Credit Union. To proceed with my application, they needed to verify a few things. They asked for a copy of my NYC driver’s license, social security card, and a utility bill with my current address.

I wised up and used my previous (Berkeley) address with NetBank and AmboyDirect. I changed my previous address to NYC address immediately after they opened my accounts. But, of course, I have the post office forward my mail to NYC. Just in case they send stuff to the Berkeley address.

Stats