Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo

$200 bonus - Metropolitan National Bank : free checking account, direct deposit; Exp. - unknown

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:06 AM

sneaky.gif

LINK

IBD note: The bank does not allow to apply for an account online. However, it might be possible to open an account over the phone or by mail. Residents of NY can go to a branch to open an account.

Terms from the bank website as of 5/26/8:

Free checking $200 bonus offer is subject to change without notice, limited to one account per customer. Free checking $200 bonus requires activating full, direct deposit ($500 minimum) of recurring payroll, government benefits or pension disbursements. $200 bonus will be credited to the account (approximately 30 days) after first full, qualifying direct deposit posts to your account. We require that qualifying, full direct deposits be made continually for no less than six months from the date of the initial qualifying direct deposit. Should these deposits be terminated or the account closed prior to six months, any paid bonus will be charged from your account or shall be otherwise due to us.

#2 ichaelm

ichaelm

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 1,069 posts
  • Interests:bank and card bonuses, credit arbitrage

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:26 PM

you must physically visit a branch to open an account, but since many CT and NJ residents commute to jobs in NY, I am listing them as bonus states as well

bonus states=CT NJ NY
in branch=yes

#3 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:57 AM

According to this post , it is currently possible to apply online and people outside NY are eligible for the bonus. So... I am moving this bonus to the board of nationwide bonuses.

Mark

#4 rwsinflorida

rwsinflorida

• GoodMembers
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

Online and Non-Local Bonus Seekers should Beware of the FINE PRINT on this is one ! Big suprises !
This bank reaches a new high in terms of tricky fine print.
You can apply online - sort of - you can complete the forms online but then you have to print them and send in via snail-mail.
After that be ready for the big surprise ! My original reading of the bonus terms at the bank's web site was the same as was posted here, i.e. after 6 months direct deposit you could keep the bonus. HOWEVER, according to their New Accounts Branch Manager Jessica Chin, the first direct deposit MUST be received within 30 days of the account opening for the account to qualify to keep the bonus. Since it take 1-2 weeks to actually open the account via mail and another 2-4 weeks to arrange for most monthly deposits to be sent to a new bank, satisfying the banks tricky 30-day requirement is near impossible. I questioned the manager's interpretation of the bonus terms language as stated on the bank's web site and asked to speak to her boss, however she claimed to be THE BOSS and judging by her attitude you can count on this bank taking back the bonus whenever you close the account.

And, everyone I dealt with kept repeating the first direct deposit must also be received before the terms of the offer changed - but none would give a clue as to when this was to happen.

Banks surely aren't what they used to be but this is the sneakiest fine print trick I've ever encountered - because even though the $200 will be credited to your account after the 1st direct deposit - you won't know if you can keep it until you close the account !

I'm going to pass on this one for now.

Be interesting to learn if ANYONE online or out-of-town actually gets to keep the bonus !

QUOTE(markber @ Sep 8 2007, 08:06 PM) View Post

LINK

IBD note: The bank does not allow to apply for an account online. However, it might be possible to open an account over the phone or by mail. Residents of NY can go to a branch to open an account.

Terms from the bank website as of 9/9/7:

$200 Checking offer subject to change without notice, limited to one account per customer. Free checking with the $200.00 bonus requires activating direct deposit of recurring payroll, government benefits or retirement account disbursements. $200.00 bonus will be credited to the account after first direct deposit posts. Bonus is considered interest and will be reported on IRS form 1099-INT. Account must remain open and direct deposit active for 6 months from the date of account opening or the $200.00 bonus will be debited upon account closure. Metropolitan National Bank ATM and debit cardholders pay no Metropolitan National Bank fees to use any ATM worldwide, and any "foreign" ATM fees charged by owners of ATMs other than Metropolitan National Bank are rebated.

#5 shybenny

shybenny

Ultra member

• Very good members
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

My girlfriend has already received the $200.00 bonus. She opened the account in the branch. But you can open the account online. If you don't receive the bonus, just call and ask them to credit you the bonus.

QUOTE(rwsinflorida @ Mar 18 2008, 02:12 PM) View Post

Beware of this one ! Big suprises !
This bank reaches a new high in terms of incompetent people and misinformation.
You can apply online but its all downhill after that. My reading of the bonus terms at their web site was the same as posted here, i.e. after 6 months direct deposit you could keep the bonus. HOWEVER, according to their New Accounts Branch Manager Jessica Chin, the first direct deposit MUST be received within 30 days of the account opening for the account to qualify to keep the bonus. Since it take 1-2 weeks to open the account online and another 2-4 weeks to arrange for a monthly deposit to be sent to a new bank, the odds of qualifying to keep the bonus are very slim. I disagreed with the manager's interpretation of the terms as stated on the web site and asked to speak to her boss, however she claimed to be THE BOSS and judging by her attitude you can count on this bank taking back the bonus whever you close the account.

And, everyone I dealt with kept repeating the first direct deposit must also be received before the terms of the offer changed - but none would give a clue as to when this was to happen.

Banks surely aren't what they used to be but this is the sneakiest fine print I've ever encountered.

Be interesting to see if ANYONE actually gets to keep the bonus !

LINK

$200 Checking offer subject to change without notice, limited to one account per customer. Free checking with the $200.00 bonus requires activating direct deposit of recurring payroll, government benefits or retirement account disbursements. $200.00 bonus will be credited to the account after first direct deposit posts. Bonus is considered interest and will be reported on IRS form 1099-INT. Account must remain open and direct deposit active for 6 months from the date of account opening or the $200.00 bonus will be debited upon account closure. Metropolitan National Bank ATM and debit cardholders pay no Metropolitan National Bank fees to use any ATM worldwide, and any "foreign" ATM fees charged by owners of ATMs other than Metropolitan National Bank are rebated.

#6 rwsinflorida

rwsinflorida

• GoodMembers
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:15 AM

GETTING the bonus appears to be easy - but keeping it is another thing altogether - please re-read my comments.

QUOTE(shybenny @ Mar 18 2008, 11:25 AM) View Post

My girlfriend has already received the $200.00 bonus. She opened the account in the branch. But you can open the account online. If you don't receive the bonus, just call and ask them to credit you the bonus.

Beware of this one ! Big suprises !
This bank reaches a new high in terms of incompetent people and misinformation.
You can apply online but its all downhill after that. My reading of the bonus terms at their web site was the same as posted here, i.e. after 6 months direct deposit you could keep the bonus. HOWEVER, according to their New Accounts Branch Manager Jessica Chin, the first direct deposit MUST be received within 30 days of the account opening for the account to qualify to keep the bonus. Since it take 1-2 weeks to open the account online and another 2-4 weeks to arrange for a monthly deposit to be sent to a new bank, the odds of qualifying to keep the bonus are very slim. I disagreed with the manager's interpretation of the terms as stated on the web site and asked to speak to her boss, however she claimed to be THE BOSS and judging by her attitude you can count on this bank taking back the bonus whever you close the account.

Banks surely aren't what they used to be but this is the sneakiest fine print I've ever encountered.

Be interesting to see if ANYONE actually gets to keep the bonus !

:sneaky:

LINK

#7 rwsinflorida

rwsinflorida

• GoodMembers
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

IMPORTANT UPDATE: After the hassle decribed in my prior posts regarding this bank, I sent a complaint
letter to the 2 top executives. The response I received was the tricky terms information provided by their new account "manager" Jessica Chin was WRONG !

And, I now have an email from the Vice-President confirming after 6 monthly "full-amount" direct deposits of $500 or more, we will be entitled to keep the $200 bonus. So, I'm now proceeding.

I was also told that online application processing can be achieved if you pass their initial credit
screening. Since it didn't work for me, I can only guess that all my bonus-seeking activity
caused me to be "passed-on" to second review via snail mail.

If all works out, this is a GREAT bonus offer - thanks again Markber !

LINK

#8 rwsinflorida

rwsinflorida

• GoodMembers
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

IMPORTANT UPDATE: After the hassle decribed in my prior posts regarding this bank, I sent a complaint
letter to the 2 top executives. The response I received was the tricky terms information provided by their
new account "manager" Jessica Chin was WRONG !

And, I now have an email from the Vice-President confirming after 6 monthly "full-amount" direct deposits of $500 or more,
we will be entitled to keep the $200 bonus. So, I'm now proceeding.

I was also told that online application processing can be achieved if you pass their initial credit screening.
Since it didn't work for me, I can only guess that all my bonus-seeking activity caused me to be
"passed-on" to second review via snail mail.

If all works out, this is a GREAT bonus offer - thanks again Markber !

LINK

#9 SegaRob

SegaRob

• GoodMembers
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Sounds like a great offer. I'm in NY too in case the online app doesn't work. Do they accept HSBC/ACH push as DD?

There's no minimum balance right? I can just cycle the $500 in and out every month, right?

By the way, the free ATM feature sounds like a great promotion too. It's the same policy as TD Banknorth, but available to everyone.

#10 SegaRob

SegaRob

• GoodMembers
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(SegaRob @ May 14 2008, 05:49 PM) View Post

Sounds like a great offer. I'm in NY too in case the online app doesn't work. Do they accept HSBC/ACH push as DD?

There's no minimum balance right? I can just cycle the $500 in and out every month, right?

By the way, the free ATM feature sounds like a great promotion too. It's the same policy as TD Banknorth, but available to everyone.

It seems like they've gotten wise to the HSBC/ACH push DDs.

I got this in their welcome email: ***Please submit a copy of the ACCOUNT HOLDER’S pay stub related to the 1st Direct Deposit ***

Any ideas?

#11 JackG

JackG

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:01 AM

Icky.gif It seems to be a FULL direct deposit required (no partial direct deposit nor a push via ACH).

#12 mayerster

mayerster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(JackG @ May 20 2008, 03:01 AM) View Post

Icky.gif It seems to be a FULL direct deposit required (no partial direct deposit nor a push via ACH).

what is FULL direct deposit mean?

#13 rwsinflorida

rwsinflorida

• GoodMembers
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

After jumping through all kinds of hoops, (see my prior comments) I gave this bank offer a try.
But their imcompetence runs the full gamut from start to finish and I finally gave up when I had
their "3rd party" bill-paying service request the most personal confidential i.d. details - multiple questions
you will NOT believe - and this happens when you don't even know WHO THE HELL THEY ARE - since this bank doesn't have the courtesy to tell you.

"Full" direct deposit means that want to verify they are getting the full amount of whatever direct deposit it is.

This is bank full of crazy people from another planet.

What else can I say beyond that except stay away........?

fmore personal deta3level of non
QUOTE(mayerster @ May 20 2008, 06:23 AM) View Post

QUOTE(JackG @ May 20 2008, 03:01 AM) View Post

:Icky: It seems to be a FULL direct deposit required (no partial direct deposit nor a push via ACH).

what is FULL direct deposit mean?

#14 SegaRob

SegaRob

• GoodMembers
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

I just got an email saying I was disqualified because I did not "deposit your FULL payroll for six recurring months." When I first started, I had a job and deposited the full payroll for two months. After that, I wasn't working but I did an ACH push for the same amount to fulfill the requirement. Apparently that didn't fly, they said they're going to remove the $200 from my account, even if it means being overdrawn. Is there anything I can say to change this decision? I still had a deposit coming in every month so I figure what's the difference to them where it's coming from.

Stats