Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo
- - - - -

Citibank thread

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate Citibank? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate Citibank?

1. One of the best (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Good (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. Mediocre (1 votes [12.50%])

4. Bad (1 votes [12.50%])

5. One of the worst (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 02:39 PM

This is an official iBankDesign thread to discuss Citibank.
Below are links to online resources about this bank.

#2 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 03:38 PM

I went and tried the $200 promo earlier this month, I think. Signing up online was not as hard as I expected. However, a person must have their phone numbers ready because citibank makes a person use some kind of pass/access code to verify your identity.

So, I opened my checking account without much fuss. I faxed in my signature card (the one you print out right after the application, not the one you get in an email(?)) Funding the account takes a while.

After my account was setup, I decided to split my money into 2 other accounts. (EZ Checking is a relationship account of sorts..$1500 total in all your accounts or direct deposit) $500 into a 1 year and anything into a super yield money market. THIS is where my frustrations began.

I applied for the money market account online. I didn't get any confirmation, and after a day there was still no sign of the account. I called and according to the representative, there was supposed to be confirmation. So, I tried again...and one day later, I found not one but 2 money market accounts. Trying to close one is also hard. It never leaves your screen even if you went through all the steps.

A LOT more hesitant now, I went to open the 1 year CD. I only did it once and it was much easier to open. (Then again, they're now holding your money as a hostage now, so I guess they don't need as much verification)

I sent in the signature cards and now, my 1 year cd is open and the money market account STILL has problems. Why? Because even though the faxed in signature card is in their notes and I even sent in the additional piece of identification and proof of employment, they haven't taken the hold/block off the account yet. sigh... At this point I'm hoping that everything will be done by the end of this year!

So, when you deal with citibank, be ready to be patient. be VERY patient because otherwise you're going to lose your mind.

#3 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(vivyip @ Dec 21 2004, 09:38 AM)

So, when you deal with citibank, be ready to be patient.  be VERY patient because otherwise you're going to lose your mind.

I believe many people will agree with you. I have never received my Citibank checks, my application for Citibank credit line was not not considered "because of my request" even though I had never asked about it, Citibank representatives asked me to provide them with information that they did not actually need, etc. Members of other message boards also reported numerous stories of poor Citibank customer service.

#4 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:11 AM

BTW, I don't know how many Chinese or Asian people have a Citibank account here, but today I went to deposit some money in my local branch (Gaithersburg, MD) and found that they had the Chinese calendars to give out. I was suprised because the giving out of calendars (esp the Chinese kind with the lunar dates and stuff on them) occurs more often in areas that have high Chinese population (like NYC chinatown and maybe Rockville, MD here in the DC area) and grocery stores and banks and local businesses give them out. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that if you have a Citibank branch nearby, you might be able to get the free calendar happy.gif Hope this helps someone.

The freebies (at the branches) so far -- calendar and red envelopes (hong bao)

#5 mnl8844

mnl8844

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

yes. citibank takes forever to process account information. if it wasn't for their promos i dont know why anyone would want to open a checking or savings account from them. there is nothing special about them. and the minimum and fees are really high. they're credit card is good. 5% cash back on gas, groceries, and drugstores.

#6 Guest_Zach_*

Guest_Zach_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:07 PM

I agree with the negative comments about accounts, tried the checking acount with bonus offer for 5 months. Constant Web site difficulties, branch difficulties, no interest, delayed posting, customer support out of India with great difficulty in communicating... just closed it last week.
The credit cards are great with the 5% rebate for certain stores and many other bonus'.

#7 grrarrgh

grrarrgh

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:36 PM

EZ checking acct waives 1500 min to avoid fees if you have direct dep.

Has anyone tested to see if etrade ACH works, and if so, how small a ACH will do the trick?

thanks!

#8 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE(grrarrgh @ Feb 23 2005, 02:36 PM)
EZ checking acct waives 1500 min to avoid fees if you have direct dep.

Has anyone tested to see if etrade ACH works, and if so, how small a ACH will do the trick?

thanks!

I did.

It works.

$6.

#9 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:46 AM

I don't know about the etrade ACH, but I know that my monthly "direct deposit" of $1 is okay. happy.gif whew! happy.gif

#10 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:17 PM

Has anyone tried the Citibank ACH to/from another bank yet? Does it cost money? Please let me know. Thanks!

#11 grrarrgh

grrarrgh

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE(vivyip @ Mar 7 2005, 01:17 PM)
Has anyone tried the Citibank ACH to/from another bank yet?  Does it cost money?  Please let me know.  Thanks!

from another -- free. to another -- a couple of bucks. basically...i'll be sticking with my etrade ach's.

#12 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:33 PM

I just tried the ACH trasnfer into the citibank account....maybe i'm just in a bad mood, but it's so slow!!! I set the transfer up on 3/10/05 for 3/11/05...but the transfer finally showed up today 3/16/05...sigh...I probably don't do this again using citibank.

3/25/05: The first of the 2 $100 was deposited!

#13 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:17 AM

The following feedback about Citibank was posted recently on MSN Your Money board.

"I opened a Citibank checking account online back at the beginning of January, and since then I have had nothing but trouble with them. My problems?
The account was not funded for 2-3 weeks although I entered all the info correctly online...after it was funded, they failed to "unlock" the account so I was unable to use it for another 2 weeks after that.
I didn't receive any checks until late February, because whoever unlocked my account failed to place a check order at that time. I had to call to get this order completed.
After I had my wallet stolen, I called to order a new debit card. They failed to place the order until I called two weeks later asking where my card was.
Now, I have a new debit card, but since I got it two weeks ago, I have not received a PIN (they send the PIN after they send the card for security - they say it takes 3-5 business days after you get the card).
After all this I'm quite fed up and wondering whether it is worth it to stick with them. Am I having all this trouble because I opened the account online, or did I just get unlucky? I know that many of you use Citi credit cards...anyone use them for checking? Are they notorious for bad service or something? I chose them primarily because they are a national bank and they have several locations near me.

If I'm just unlucky, I'd be willing to accept that and hang on."

#14 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:01 PM

Citibank now has a "thank you" rewards thing going on...

They promote it in 2 ways -- for the credit card users (not great) and for "everyday banking"

When a person clicks o the regular banking icon/picture...they show the following:

It's free for Citibank Customers.
If you’re not already banking with Citibank, today’s a great day to open a Regular Checking Account and let the thanking begin.

The more products you use, the faster you’ll get ThankYou Points. Get points each month for having a Citibank Checking Account with a Debit Card and for using these products and services: 

Checking Plus
Bill Payment
Home Equity
Money Market
Direct Deposit
Home Equity Line
CD
Ready Credit
Mortgage
Savings
Personal Loan   

You’ll even get points when you use your Citibank Debit
Card! Get 1 point for every $2 spent for purchases with
your signature and for every $3 spent for PIN purchases.

Has anyone been able to find out the details on the points for the products? I'm just curious because the rest doesn't look appealing. Any info?

#15 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:54 PM

www.thankyouredemptions.com

is the website, but has anyone had experience with this yet?

Stats