Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo
- - - - -

Cashback -- straight percentages or "points?"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:53 PM

Which cards have the straight percentage cashback to customers?

Right now I have a bank of america financial rewards card that has 1% and it by points. (1 pts for every $100 spent per cycle) I know this is not the greatest card in the world, but it's better than nothing. Anyway, I know that Chase Freedom(?) and the ExxonMobil MasterCard have the 1% straight cashback per statement and stuff.

I'm wondering what other cards have this instead of the points, because the point system is very annoying in that it doesn't have a running total or round upwards (even if it's 99.99 according to the customer service person...argh)

In the meantime, I'm trying to manually make the numbers fit by purchasing a walmart giftcard where i use at sam's club...but do people have any suggestions, please? Thank you for reading this.

#2 pangya88

pangya88

• GoodMembers
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:53 AM

I spent over 100 hours researching credit cards with straight percentage cashback and NO ANNUAL FEE. Let me give you a rundown.

The 2 best ones are:

--- AT&T Universal Cash Reward Card
You will earn a full 5% on purchases made at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations, a full 5% on purchases of eligible AT&T consumer products and/or services, a full 1% on all other purchases, and cash back on cash advances and balance transfers.

--- Citi Dividend Platinum Select MasterCard
You will earn a full 5% cash back on all supermarket, drug store, and gas station purchases, a full 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases, and cash back on cash advances and balance transfers.

Since Citibank owns both credit cards, you can only apply for one card at a time. You will have to wait 60-90 days to apply for a second card. Check with their rep about this.

The optimal strategy is to keep using just one card at all time. Use it only when you get the full 5%.

One drawback is that checks cannot be issued for amounts less than $50 unless you've already received checks totaling more than $250. If you are frugal like me ^_~ and you don't use your credit card a lot, check out the followings:

--- The Motley Fool Cashback Rewards Card
You will earn a full 1% cash back on all purchases. You automatically get 1 Cash Rewards check per year. Now spend wisely, save foolishly. ^_~

--- Flexible Rewards Visa Signature Card
You will earn a full 1% cash back on each $2,500 in purchases. Each time you reach 2,500 points, you can choose to redeem for a $25 check. You can redeem for your choice of travel, cash, merchandise or gift certificates/gift cards. Since it's a "Visa Signature" Card, you have some nice benefits such as, no preset spending limit, dining privileges, concierge service, up to $3,000 Lost Luggage Insurance, up to $1,000,000 Travel Accident Insurance, and roadside dispatch. Points will expire after 60 months.

Also, check out the followings:

--- The TrueEarnings Card from Costco and American Express
You will earn a full 3% cash back on restaurant purchases, a full 2% cash back for traveling-airline tickets, hotel stays, car rentals, and cruises, and 1% cash back everywhere else. Rebates are awarded every February in the form of an in-store coupon redeemable for cash or merchandise at any Costco. No annual fee with your paid Costco Membership.

--- Fidelity Investments 529 College Rewards Credit Card
You will earn a full 2% towards your Fidelity Investments managed 529 College Savings Plan.

--- Fidelity Investments Investment Rewards Credit Card (That's a mouthful!)
You will earn a full 1.5% towards your Fidelity Brokerage Account. Eligible registrations include individual, joint, Roth IRA, Traditional IRA, and Rollover IRA.

NOW, can anyone PLEASE please help me find a cheap rent in Manhattan !!!
Please email me !!! THANK YOU ^_~

Stats