Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo

$50 - National City Bank

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:08 PM

LINK

Terms:

It’s yours when you open a Free Checking account
With features like free Online Bill Payment and a free CheckCard, a National City Free Checking account really does simplify your financial life. To prove it, we’ll give you $50* when you open an account with direct deposit.

Free with this account

Unlimited transactions without any balance requirements
Online Banking, including online statements and check images
Online Bill Payment
Unlimited check writing

Offer available for new personal Free Checking accounts opened after March 20th, 2005, with a minimum of $50 not currently on deposit at National City. Offer available only to households without an existing personal checking account at National City. The first ACH direct deposit of your payroll, pension or Social Security check must be received within 60 days of account opening to qualify for this offer. $50 will be credited to your checking account within 60 days after the first direct deposit is received. $50 credit to account is subject to 1099 reporting. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Some promotional offers may not apply. Offer may be withdrawn at any time.

#2 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:50 AM

I finished opening an account here.

Very quick, easy...now I just need to see if i get the bonus. happy.gif

Just a note, to open this account you might need to get the sig card notarized

Also, they send the starter checks with a checkbook in the same envelope. It's quaint/cute! happy.gif

Hope this might help!

Update: 8/2/05 -- I have not received the bonus yet. Has anyone received their bonus yet from this bank? Please let me know. thanks!

#3 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

anyone? (sorry for the strange question)

#4 bd134

bd134

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE(vivyip @ Aug 8 2005, 01:19 PM)
anyone?  (sorry for the strange question)
View Post

National City Bank $50 Bonus: DON'T BOTHER

I opened my account at the "201 East Green Street, Champaign, IL 61820, Phone: 217-363-4080" branch back in February, and I had NOT receive the $50 bonus for more than 60 days.

I've inquired about this matter with Charlie at the "30 Main Street, Champaign, IL 61820, Phone: 217-351-0500" branch after 60 days had passed. I was told that it should be "60 BUSINESS DAYS".

I showed him another offer to invite me to sign up direct deposit for yet another $50 (for a total of $100), but was refused by him, claiming that I was not a new customer (then why bother sending me an invitation with my name printed on it?).

The $100 bonus offer was sent again to me in person about a month later. this time I didn't even bother going to the branch, because I haven't receive my $50 after 60 BUSINESS DAYS!

I was charged a $1.50 monthly fee for a overdraft credit line service that Charlie claimed "no fee to use it", while in fact I was charged even though I did not USE it (I did not overdraft my chacking account). I went to the branch again on 6/24/05 to inquire about this matter. While he refunded only one month's fee (after he talked to the branch manager, they were unable to waive the fee charged in May), he called someone to investigate the issue. Heard nothing back.

When I received my statement on 7/29/05 and no signs of $50 appeared, I made a call to National City's 800 number printed on the statement, talked to a representative, and she was surprised that I've not received the $50 bonus yet. Thank goodness, the $50 bonus showed online on 8/05/05.

Frankly, I would say DON'T BOTHER to open an account with them. They don't honor what they said (60 days or 60 business days? and "no fee to use"), and their inquiry is useless / inefficient. I've spent a lot of time with them on their "word game", and I wish them good luck to attract new customers.

#5 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience, bd134! It looks like one has put a constant pressure on National City Bank after the 60 days in order to get the bonus.

#6 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

I now have to agree with bd134.... I am right now still in "research" as to why my $50 has not been credited to my account yet. 7-10 days, my rear end!!! sigh...

#7 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:33 AM

YES!!!! happy.gif

The credit arrived!!! happy.gif (go nag them... happy.gif)

#8 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE(vivyip @ Sep 14 2005, 05:33 PM)
YES!!!! happy.gif

The credit arrived!!! happy.gif  (go nag them... happy.gif)
View Post

Congrats! It looks like the deal is doable, it just takes more efforts than an average $50 bonus deal.

#9 rockjr

rockjr

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:21 AM

I got the bonus but I had to remind them of it. I suspect that they are hoping people will forget. Anyway, I can't wait for the 6 months to be up so I can close the account--I'm not real fond of the institution. I also got a purple piggy bank that my daughter just loves. tongue.gif

Stats