Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo
- - - - -

Online bank: good rates, free ACH, checking?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grobe

grobe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:28 AM

I am looking for an online bank which has good rates, free ACH (in and out) to multiple accounts and free checking. A limited number of checks (such as the money market limit of 6 transactions, 3 as paper checks per month) is OK. So far I have not had much luck finding such an account (it seems I can get 2 out the 3 requirements). Any suggestions?

PS. Currently I am using a combination of an ING savings account (good rate, free ACH (in and out) but no checking) and American Bank's PC Banker (ACH in only, free checking, adequate rate--but this rate is limited to $10,000)

Thank you.

#2 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE(grobe @ May 1 2005, 07:28 PM)
I am looking for an online bank which has good rates, free ACH (in and out) to multiple accounts and free checking. A limited number of checks (such as the money market limit of 6 transactions, 3 as paper checks per month) is OK. So far I have not had much luck finding such an account (it seems I can get 2 out the 3 requirements). Any suggestions?

PS. Currently I am using a combination of an ING savings account (good rate, free ACH (in and out) but no checking) and American Bank's PC Banker (ACH in only, free checking, adequate rate--but this rate is limited to $10,000)

Thank you.
View Post

grobe,

You may want to consider City National Bank of Taylor.
According to this post, it offers free ACH in and out transfers. It has free checking and 3.26% Reward Savings accounts. You can keep most of your funds in a Reward Savings account and a minimum balance in your checking account that can cover your debits.

I would contact the bank to verify that its ACH transfers can be used not only with a NetAdvantage account, but also with a free checking and /or a Reward Savings account.

Sounds like a good set-up to me. I think it is a good idea to keep funds for your every day expenses and savings funds in separate accounts. This way you can change your main savings account to chase the best rate without changing your transactional (checking) account.

If you decide to go with CNBT, please share with us your experience with this bank.

Thanks,

Mark

#3 mnl8844

mnl8844

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:09 AM

cbnt has a direct deposit requirement. where can i go to get free ach and atm rebates with no minimums and no direct deposit requirement? will paypal or ING work for direct deposit with this account?

#4 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(mnl8844 @ May 2 2005, 06:09 PM)
cbnt has a direct deposit requirement.
View Post

I could not find a direct deposit requirement in terms of Free Checking and Reward Savings accounts that I recommended to consider (see below).

will paypal or ING work for direct deposit with this account?

Most banks I am aware of can not detect difference between an ACH transfer from a bank and a direct deposit. But if you want to get a reliable answer you would have to find a CNTB customer who tried to do this. Do not ask the bank. They are not interested to help you to find a way around the direct deposit requirement and can use names of ING Direct and PayPal to detect "ineligible direct deposits"

where can i go to get free ach and atm rebates with no minimums and no direct deposit requirement?

Free checking from Farm Bureau Bank fits this description. Its rate sucks but you did not mention if rate of a checking account is important for you.

CNBT accounts:

Free checking:

No minimum balance. No monthly service charge. No reason not to have one.

Balance Computation Method: We use the daily balance method to calculate the interest on your account. This method applies a daily periodic rate to the principal in the account each day. The daily balance that we use when calculating interest is the collected balance. That means we only include those funds for which we have actually received payment when we determine the balance on which interest is paid.

Reward Savings:

Earn 3.26% APY on your entire account balance. No monthly fees, no minimum balance. Reward Savings may seem to good to be true but it actually is very simple. When you help us serve you in the most efficient manner, we reward you in the form of a high yielding account. Here are the simple steps to a higher yielding savings account:

Step 1: Open your Reward Savings account online by clicking on the gold "Open Account Now"
Icon.
Step 2: Link to Your account. Contribute to your savings account electronically at any time.
To add this convenient feature to your Reward Savings account click here.
Step 3: Receive your statement through encrypted email. To enroll for encrypted email
statements now click here.

That's it! It's that simple!

Rate Information: This account is an interest bearing account. The interest rate and annual percentage APY* will depend upon the daily balance in the account. The interest rate and annual percentage APY* may change. At our discretion, we may change the interest rate on the account. . Interest begins to accrue no later than the business day we receive credit for the deposit of non-cash items (for example, checks). Interest will be compounded daily and will be credited to the account monthly.
Balance Information: We use the daily balance method to calculate the interest on the account. This method applies a daily periodic rate to the principal in the account each day.

Balance Computation Method: We use the daily balance method to calculate the interest on your account. This method applies a daily periodic rate to the principal in the account each day. The daily balance that we use when calculating interest is the collected balance. That means we only include those funds for which we have actually received payment when we determine the balance on which interest is paid.

Limitations: You must deposit $100.00 to open this account and enroll for free encrypted email statements. See Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure for Explanation of Withdrawal Limitations. Electronic Deposits are encouraged but paper deposits are accepted. Available to Personal Accounts only.
Account Fees: No Account fees. Unlimited ATM withdrawals.

Limitations: You must deposit $100.00 to open this account. Available to Personal Accounts only. No minimum balance. No limit on the number of checks written per month. No checks returned to customer in monthly statement (truncated checks). No interest paid.
Account Fees: No monthly service charge. No per debit charge.

#5 grobe

grobe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

I ended up going with GMAC Bank, their Money Market Account
http://www.gmacbank.com
with 3.10% interest, up to 6 withdrawals a month (up to 3 via checking), an ATM card, and allows multiple free ACH transfers (both IN and Out)

Stats