Quick navigation: Deposit accounts Credit cards Brokerages Other bonuses Referral exchange

Photo

$101 bonus - PNC bank : checking account with direct deposit; Exp. - expired

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this deal? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this deal?

1. Hot (5 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Warm (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. Cold (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 mir322

mir322

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:27 AM

Do you know how long the account needs to be open?

#17 averageguy

averageguy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

Okay i had a bit of a problem with this one. I opened it onlin about 3 or 4 weeks ago and got sent a letter out about the US Patriot Act and needing to verify my information which faxed in. I waited patiently they took the money for my checking account and savings account after about 8 days. Next they sent me out the signature cards and a also mailed me out a separate w9 form. I finally got everything in and account is open. I need to set up my direct deposit. They also called me and wanted to know why i wanted to open my account. I told them i was moving to pittsburgh i live in buffalo now

#18 adityanm

adityanm

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(averageguy @ Mar 12 2005, 07:02 AM)
I finally got everything in and account is open. I need to set up my direct deposit. They also called me and wanted to know why i wanted to open my account. I told them i was moving to pittsburgh i live in buffalo now
View Post

Their prcocedure is very archaic as they want signature cards by snail mail.
I have not received my signature card which they mailed about a week ago but my account is still active. In order to conduct ant external transfers I need to send a signed authorisation by mail which I will send when PO delivers the signature card.

They did not ask me why I wanted to open an account but it is obvious i.e.
higher int rates.

#19 adityanm

adityanm

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE(mir322 @ Mar 10 2005, 09:27 PM)
Do you know how long the account needs to be open?
View Post

There does not appear to be any condition but you will get $101 only after first statement that shows direct deposit and bill payment.

#20 rockjr

rockjr

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:14 PM

I just received a letter of refusal from PNC Bank today. They claimed that because of the Pastriot Act they were not allowed to open an account for me. They informed me that my check was not cashed.

So it sounds as if this deal is not a deal any longer - at least for me.

#21 adityanm

adityanm

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(rockjr @ Mar 14 2005, 03:14 PM)
I just received a letter of refusal from PNC Bank today.  They claimed that because of the Pastriot Act they were not allowed to open an account for me.  They informed me that my check was not cashed.

Too bad for you. I have never heard that before.

I opened my account with a deposit from Credit card and it has since been
charged.

There is no minimum balance required for digital checking as long as you have a direct deposit.

#22 mir322

mir322

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(adityanm @ Mar 15 2005, 05:38 AM)
QUOTE(rockjr @ Mar 14 2005, 03:14 PM)
I just received a letter of refusal from PNC Bank today.  They claimed that because of the Pastriot Act they were not allowed to open an account for me.  They informed me that my check was not cashed.

Too bad for you. I have never heard that before.

I opened my account with a deposit from Credit card and it has since been
charged.

There is no minimum balance required for digital checking as long as you have a direct deposit.
View Post

Adityanm,
Can you tell me if the credit card charge was counted as a cash advance?

Thanks,
Miriam smile.gif

#23 adityanm

adityanm

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE(mir322 @ Mar 15 2005, 08:54 AM)
Adityanm,
Can you tell me if the credit card charge was counted as a cash advance?

Thanks,
Miriam  smile.gif
View Post

No. upto $100 is charged as purchase.

#24 pangya88

pangya88

• GoodMembers
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:23 AM

The $101 bonus offer might be available until 3/31/05. At least, that is what their flyers said. I visited their branch in One Exchange Place in Jersey City, New Jersey. They required proof of address in New Jersey like utility or credit card bill, etc. I did not know it would be this complicated. Perhaps I should open the account online.

#25 propcgamer

propcgamer

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:18 AM

i got mine opened and they counted the trial deposits as a direct deposit (I got my statement today it and it said Direct Deposit - Paypal Verify) biggrin.gif

Even though i did have some problems getting my pin and debit card, and for some reason they sent me checks and charged me like $20, i finally got the pin and debit card after complaining recently and refunded the $20 fee, i just have to send the checks back now (what a pain) biggrin.gif

#26 pangya88

pangya88

• GoodMembers
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(propcgamer @ Mar 28 2005, 09:18 PM)
i got mine opened and they counted the trial deposits as a direct deposit (I got my statement today it and it said Direct Deposit - Paypal Verify)  biggrin.gif
View Post

Hi

I have a PayPal account, but I do not know how to make it show as direct deposit. Could you please elaborate on your above statement ??? thanks

#27 pangya88

pangya88

• GoodMembers
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE(mir322 @ Mar 8 2005, 06:11 PM)
You can also link your Paypal to the account. It'll count the initial two deposits as direct deposit. Got that from Fatwallet.com
View Post

Hi

Will they ALWAYS count the PayPal deposits as direct deposit ??? Or this applies to the first 2 deposits only.

thanks Panyaster

#28 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:40 PM

Here goes...hope this might help someone.

I applied for a PNC account on 3/22/05. I mailed in the signature card on 3/23/05.

4/6/05 I called PNC (800-CALL PNC) asking if they were backlogged or something. They replied they would check and it appeared there WAS a backlog. In fact, they had received the signature card too. PNC had to call me to ask why didn't I want a check card and how would I be banking/accessing my funds since there were no branches in my vicinity. I replied that I planned to have direct deposit and that I was going to have the first 12 checks free, right? Also, didn't they have bank-by-mail? In the end I requested a check card and had my PIN setup. The customer service person replied yes and told me the stuff would be sent by the end of next week and told me the account would be setup ASAP.

4/7/05 I received a follow-up call from the nice lady I spoke to telling me my new account number and how to direct deposit and that my credit card will be charged for the amount I wanted.

4/11/05 I received the first envelope saying "thank you for signing up with PNC..." It was a skinny envelope.

4/12/05 I received 2 more envelopes: the card and the espend envelope thingy. I logged into the account and found my account had a zero balance. I called to ask if there was a problem with the funding. They told me no, that if they didn't charge it then, they will not charge it and I can now fund it anyway I can. So, I went on a limb and used the Paypal linking deposits.

4/13/05 Paypal linking deposits show up as ACH verify

4/14/05 (Today) $101 was triggered and went into the account.

Now, I'm waiting until the end of the week for the welcoming package (prepaid envelopes and first 12 checks stuff)

Personal opinion is that they'll consider paypal as direct deposit. If this is the case, eople need to remember to do it manually. According to some other accounts, e-trade also works. I'm not sure...

Anyway, if a person doesn't have paypal, e-trade, ING Direct....has anyone tried the citibank verification deposits or tried using virtualbank (you'll need to the manual linking after receiving the starter checks) as the "direct deposits" to trigger the $101 Citibank won't work for future direct deposits, but the others might.

Just an idea...and hope this might help someone...

UPDATE: just a side note...people in the DC area have another incentive to sign up for this promotion because branches will be in the area in May...

article: http://www.washingto...-2005Apr12.html

#29 markber

markber

1 billion bucks

• Admin
  • 15,048 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for your story, vivyip! Some people on other forums reported that PayPal transfers did not work for them but it looks like there could be something else wrong with their accounts.

I think the most important question about the PNC bonus is if it is still valid. The PNC website says that direct deposit should be received by June 30, 2005. However, I saw posts on other forums that the bonus expired on March 31st (that is, you should have applied before Match 31st in order to get the bonus).

#30 vivyip

vivyip

1 million bucks

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:20 PM

I think the promotion os still going on simply because if a person searches for 101, the offer still shows up. However, I think the possible issue is a combination of several factors:

A. The flooding of new accounts opened with some people instantly closing the account within 30 days. According to many reports, PNC has been cracking down on what's considered as "direct deposit"

B. Some people might've been a bit abrasive when they didn't get the $101 after the "direct deposits" Also, some people might've not provided a story reason for the account. I think the bank is wary of people just coming in and leaving. After all, the bank wants loyal customers. I remember talking to the follow-up guy who wanted to know WHY I was opening an account and didn't want the check-card. (at the time i filled out the application, I dind't check for the card simply because i didn't want to waste a piece of plastic i wasn't going to use anyway within the time I had the account) He explained that sorta flagged me because he wondered how was I going to access my money if I had no card nor PNC banks around. I thought "oops" and changed my mind at the words "used to activate your online banking" I also explained that I just planned to use the direct deposit to fund my account. Last but not least, I asked if they had something called bank-by-mail. and he was nice to order the envelopes for me. I guess the important thing was...I sounded plausible who wasn't going in just for the $101 and like a real customer. Well, maybe that and the fact my application and everything was sent in on 3/23 and I only called after 2 weeks to ask.

Long and short story is that I think calling in and talking to the customer service makes a good difference. Don't sound too greedy...or something like that. happy.gif I'll keep it open for 6 month or something.

Sorry if I might not have answered your question. =(

Don't forget to activate your bill payment!!! It's required to keep your Digital Checking fee-free!

Stats